|SUMMIT COUNTY CHAPTER
of the Ohio Genealogical Society
P O Box 2232 Akron OH 44309-2232
- About Coventry Township
- Township Cemeteries
Coventry Township is:
Part of the Connecticut Western Reserve in Township 1N, Range 11W
Portage Twp on the north
Springfield Twp on the east
Franklin Twp on the south
Norton Twp on the west
Before Summit County was formed in 1840 Coventry Township belonged to several other counties. The date of 1800 has been used as a reference point since it is close to the 1803 date when Ohio became a state.
1800 - 1808: The area of Coventry Twp was in Trumbull County.
(Trumbull County was established in 1800)
1808 - 1812: The area of Coventry Twp was in Portage County.
(Portage County was established in 1808.)
1840 - Present: The area of Coventry Twp is in Summit County.
(Summit County was formed in 1840.)
Before 1840 the records you need may be somewhere other than Summit County. Here are some suggested contacts:
Portage Lakes Historical Society; Mason Manor;
615 Latham Lane;Akron OH 44319
Akron Public Library; 55 South Main Street; Akron OH 44036-0001
Portage County Chapter OGS; P O Box 821; Ravenna OH 44266
Portage County His Soc; 6549 N Chestnut St; Ravenna OH 44266
Trumbull County Chapter OGS; P O Box 309; Warren OH 44482
Notice to our readers:
Information regarding this Township will be updated (or added) as
it becomes available. You may want to check this site periodically
for the most current information.
The following information is being provided to give you an idea of the location, or approximate location, of all known township cemeteries. It will also help identify any cemeteries where the
gravestones or burial records have been copied and, if known, where this information can be found.
Inscriptions for several cemeteries in this township can be found in the books:"Summit County Cemetery Insccriptions, Volume 3" and "Summit County Cemetery Insccriptions, Volume 4" which were published by the Summit County Chapter, OGS.
ANSHE SFARD CEMETERY: (published in Vol 3, pp 28-31)
Located on the south side of Swartz Road west of Glenmount Ave. Owned by the Revere Road Synagogue it is adjacent to the Jewish Alliance Cemetery.
The only information on this cemetery is a vague reference found on page 530 of the "History of Summit County, Ohio" by William Henry Perrin which says: "On the west of the reservoir on the place owned by Benjamin Bowers."
Location of this cemetery is uncertain. It is thought to have been in Akron, off Main St (CR250) just south of old Rt 224. A representative of the Gordon Funeral Home, Akron, Ohio says the
bodies were moved to other Jewish Cemeteries during the 1970's.
The only information on this cemetery is a vague reference found on page 529 of the "History of Summit County, Ohio" by William Henry Perrin which says: "One of his favorite places was the Falor
Schoolhouse. Here one of the oldest cemeteries is located, and all the old settlers of the neighborhood were laid here."It is believed this reference is for what is now Mount Hope Cemetery.
Located at 2580 Romig Road, Akron, Ohio 44320. On the west side of Romig Road south of Rolling Acres Mall. Burial information can be obtained from the cemetery.
HOLY CROSS CEMETERY:
A Catholic cemetery located at 100 Waterloo Road in Akron, Ohio 44319. On the southeast corner of the intersection of Waterloo Road and South Main Street. Burial information can be obtained from the cemetery.
HUNGARIAN JEWISH CEMETERY:
a.k.a AHAVAS ZEDECK CEMETERY: (published in Vol 3, pp 22-26)
Located on the south side of Swartz Road west of Glenmount Ave.
JEWISH ALLIANCE CEMETERY: a.k.a. FARHARD & WORKMEN'S CIRCLE CEMETERY:
(published in Vol 3, pp 32-36)
Located on the south side of Swartz Road west of Glenmount Ave. Adjacent to the Hungarian Jewish Cemetery (Ahavas Zedeck).
Established in 1892. Located at 1080 W Waterloo Road, Akron, Ohio 44314.
At the corner of W Waterloo Road and Cory Avenue. Burial information can be obtained at the cemetery office.
LOCKWOOD CORNERS CEMETERY: (published in Vol 3, pp 37-65) Earliest gravestone dated 1819. Located at 3680 Manchester Road, Akron, Ohio behind the Lockwood United Methodist Church in the area known as Lockwood Corners. No early records exist. Maintained by the township trustees.
MOUNT HOPE CEMETERY: (published in in 1986 in Vol 4.)
Established in 1866, but burials began at least 20 yrs earlier. Located on the east side of South Main Street between Emerling Ave and Cole Ave, near Firestone Tire & Rubber Company. Originally in Coventry Twp it is now part of the city of Akron. Burial information from Mount Hope Cemetery Association; C/O J Heilman; 2808 Aldis Dr. Akron OH 44312, Phone # 330-644-8085; NEW INFORMATION , starting from the entrance off of Sweitzer. On the left side of the drive are rows S(outh)1,S2,S3 Etc. On the other side of the Drive is N(orth)1, N2, N3 etc. For information on locating a grave call 330-644-8085.
PLEASANT VALLEY CEMETERY: a.k.a. WESLEY CHAPEL CEMETERY
(published Vol 3, pp 18-21)
Earliest gravestone dated 1830. No burial records are known to exist. Located on the north side of Warner Road just west of South Arlington Street. Originally owned by the Pleasant Valley Methodist Church, it is now owned by the township.
POLISH JEWISH CEMETERY:
Only information is the description - "On US224 "Waterloo Rd" west of Nesmith Lake near Cory St." May be a reference to St. Augustine's Cemetery.
ST AUGUSTINE'S CEMETERY: (published in Vol 3, pp 1-17e)
Established in 1902. Located in the 1200 block of West Waterloo Road next to Highland Park Elementary School. On the south side of W. Waterloo Road between the school and Corey Avenue. Burial records are at Lakewood Cemetery which is one block east of the cemetery.
SOUTH STREET JEWISH CEMETERY: (published Vol 3, pp 26-27)
Located on the south side of South Street about 75 feet east of Lakeshore Blvd in south Akron. Owned by the Independent Jewish Association.
UNNAMED CEMETERY: a.k.a. HOPE CHURCH CEMETERY
There is a vague reference to this cemetery found on page 529 of the "History of Summit County, Ohio" by William Henry Perrin. "A church cemetery just west of the Center toward New Portage." This may be a reference to the cemetery of Hope Church which was adjacent to Lakewood Cemetery. The church has been torn down and its cemetery is now part of Lakewood Cemetery and is in Section Hope.
Notice to our readers:
Information regarding the Cemeteries listed here will be updated (or added) as it becomes available. You may want to check this site periodically for the most current information. Corrections or additions will be appreciated.
Back to Top
Provided by: SUMMIT COUNTY CHAPTER, OGS
P O Box 2232
Akron OH 44309-2232
Compiled by: Marlene Diefendorf, September 1997 [rev. Jan 2000]
Back to the Summit County Genealogy Home Page